All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well anyway I basically snapped the pins that go into the amp, pic below, anyone know a way to fix this with out buying a new wire, for example can new ends be bought and attached some how?

Sorry for poor quality, phone cam.

·
Registered
611 Posts
lodgey, is that the autoleads wiring pack from halfords by any chance?? :laugh:
exactly the same thing happened to mine but that was caused by heavy things rolling about my boot and knocking the plugs about.
the replacements i got were from Maplin, cheap enough (less than £1 each)and no crimping required. :D
strip the wire back a bit, slot the centre wire through the hole, bend the metal part of the new phono plug to grip the outside of the cable, screw the outer part on and your good to go :D

soldering is not essential, but might make things easier

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lodgey, is that the autoleads wiring pack from halfords by any chance?? :laugh:
Nar was this one
Cheers for the help everyone :thumbs_up: least I wont need to get a full new wire and lay it all again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The whole point of these plugs being moulded on is that the copper wire is oxygen free. Once you cut the end off you reduce them to standard pieces of wire. Your better off buying a new wire and refitting! SORRY!

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
new wires are quite cheap, i got some decent ones for about £25
its harder to fit, but better quality, and less likely to have problems in the future!

·
Registered
611 Posts
i replaced the phono plugs on my car 2 years ago... still look brand new. and the full original wiring kit was only £20. i think £2 and 10minutes work is far easier than re-laying the wires and paying £20 for the sake of 2 wires.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TBF I am thinking along the lines of just replacing the plugs, since thinking about a new car so no point pulling the wire up to put the wire back down, to pull it up again then relay into a new car. Might as well just wait until I get a new car and then relay all the wire lol. Cheers for the info anyway.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
TBF I am thinking along the lines of just replacing the plugs, since thinking about a new car so no point pulling the wire up to put the wire back down, to pull it up again then relay into a new car. Might as well just wait until I get a new car and then relay all the wire lol. Cheers for the info anyway.
And whats this new car going to be?

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And whats this new car going to be?
Well I remember saying to you I was looking at seat ibiza but although they are still in mind, I have started looking at BMW's now and before anyone asks no I am not going to put a corsa sticker on it but will stick around here and come to any meets :thumbs_up:

Your not wrong there! You'll probably be taking all the kit out anyway?
Yer not going to leave it in, might leave the comps in though and purchase new ones, depending on how rich and lazy I am feeling lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
The whole point of these plugs being moulded on is that the copper wire is oxygen free. Once you cut the end off you reduce them to standard pieces of wire. Your better off buying a new wire and refitting! SORRY!
The 'oxygen free' bit refers to the purity of metal which the wire is made from,
not the integrity of the connector on the end of it.

The reason why quality audio cable is multi strand (and oxygen free cable) as opposed to single strand like ring main cable is because the electrons flow along the circumference of the wire strand, and the more strands, the more surface area to carry the amperage with less loss, and as such more power is transfered to the speaker (or amp) with less loss (as heating) in the cabling.
The purer the metal, the less loss in wattage along a given length of cable, resulting in higher wattage to the speaker!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know it refers to the purity of the copper, however copper oxidises in air, this oxydisation would reduce the flow of electrons and thus reduce the quality of the sound heard!

Also simply fitting a new end onto the cable would not stop the oxygen that has already oxidised the copper and soldering it on would make it even worse!

·
Registered
611 Posts
the amount of quality lost due to fitting a new phono plug is going to be minimal and unnoticable(sp) in a car audio system unless its a competition set-up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
TRUE, but you are dealing with a signal before amplification, therefore amplifying any noise that has been induced into the wire.

And as many people on here know it's noise that destroys speakers.

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like it is going to be new wires anyway, pain in the arse though as cant afford them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts