All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Wierd this. Got a 2000 Corsa -b, 1.2 16v, 90K on the clock. Runs vv well except recently I have noticed a tapping/knocking noise that seems to come from the engine compartment. It's quite quiet, not related to load or roadspeed directly, and only happens once the engine is hot, and even then intermittently. It sounds for all the world like a woodpecker in my engine! Car has been checked at local Masterfit - "no problems mate".

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
It could be tappets, you may need your oil topping up, it could be early signs of your water pump going.

Can you try to find out exactly where the sound is coming from in the engine bay. It may help when trying to determine what it is.

Check your oil whilst you are at it aswell. When was the last time it was changed?

·
Registered
497 Posts
If it's because your oil is low then sort it right away! It's a sign the engine is running with no (or very little) oil, happened to me back along, didn't realise how quick it drank oil. On the other hand, my old Corsa (1.2 8v) made that tapping sound the whole time I had it, if the oil and tappets are fine (as mine were) isn't that just a sign of old age? Engines will tend to get a bit rattly as they get on lol.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Sounds like tappets to me, yeh i doubt you would find anything "wrong"

Mine used to do it until i changed the oil to much better quality stuff (castrol GTX) so that might be any idea. Buy some wynns hydraulic tappet oil from halfords, that cleans them out so that should do the trick. It might be that not enough oil is getting to the top end causing them to rattle.

·
Registered
393 Posts
how much does it cost to get the tapets adjusted an regapped
if they're hydraulic they should be self-adjusting if theyre in good condition, thats not saying theyre fool-proof, one of them could be knackered / sticking.
if they're of the bucket-and-shim type, thats camshafts out, which is a fair bit of work and will cost quite a bit, easiest way is to take the head off so expect it to cost a lot more than a head gasket change because all the clearances between each cam lobe and shim need to be taken, re-shimmed then taken again, before the head can go back on.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Thats if they do need adjusting though mate :) we're not trying to get you worried lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts