All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I was hopeing to get a project thread going soon but cars will be cars and mine has broken :(

So whats been happening is this, ive been getting the kangeroo petrol problem lately (loss of power and boggs down when you put your foot down even a bit) it seems to get better i.e. can put your foot down further the walmer the engine gets. I was driveing back from college only 10 min drive and my engine management light came on (and stayed on) as i came to a junction i put my cluch in and changed down and the car just cut out and i could not start it. i went back to my car the next day (about 14 ish hours later) it was cold dark and drizzely and it started with a bit of foot to the floor encouragement i managed to nurse it home.

so earlier today i did the paper clip test which found errors that relate to 1 | Exhaust gas re-circulation valve ( i have taken this off and given it a good clean) 2 | Knock crontrol unit or quad drive module.

so i dont really know what a Knock crontrol unit or quad drive module is but 'quad' is 4 so i thought spark plugs or somthing like that. after putting the EGR valve back on it started alot better and sounded better but still not right. after 5 or so mins of the engine ideling and reving it a bit i saw a tiny bit of smoke start to come from the engine i shut off the engine and had a look i couldnt see anything so i started the engine again an had a look where i saw the smoke comeing from and on the bottom connector of the 'thing' (this is where im stuck) there were some small sparks that i could see coming from it i had the lead connected properly (the same as the other 3) and it doesnt seem loose or corroded or anything. i have included some pics to help you help me:)

this is my engine bay the square is what i belive to be the EGR valve and the rectangle is what is causeing the spark.
[/URL]
[/IMG]

this is a closer up of the bit thats sparking its got an arrow to the bottom connector. (i have taken the leads off but numbered them so i know which way round they go)
[/URL]
[/URL[/IMG]

I think thats about all please just ask if anythings unclear or you want more info

And sorry if its posted in the wrong section or the images dont work ( i did my best)

Thanks Andy

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The 'box' that is sparking is the ignition module - if you are seeing sparks then it sounds like something is causing a leak to earth. The most likely cause is that the HT leads (by the sounds of it the bottom one in particular) are beginning to break down internally. Do not touch them when the engine is running - there's a lot of voltage on there and it will bite you.

Hopefully replacing the leads will cure it. They don't last for ever. I change mine every 50,000 just to be on the safe side. Modern leads are expensive items, maybe you can borrow some off a mate just to see if that cures the problem?

The snag is that the sparks seem to be coming from the box itself??? So it may be a crack in the casing of the ignition module, a hairline crack will let water in, which then creates a path of conductivity. As you said, it was damp at the time - which could affect the leads and/or a cracked module. try spraying with WD/40 - although that's only a temporary cure.

Try the leads first - it's the most likely, and easiest to swap.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, i have had a look on ebay for the bits, found some ignition leads for £17 ish quid there brand new. phoned halfords they were 30 quid Ha, i will phone autoquip in the morning and see how much they say and go from there. Thanks for your help.
can anyone confirm that the ERG valve that i cleaned is actually the ERG valve(its the bit in the red square in the top picture)
Thanks again

Andy

Edit: I have changed the Ignition leads and reset the ECU my car seems fine now so thanks for all your help. im sure i will be back to ask some more questions at some point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts