All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been set to the task of fiddling with the girlfriend's Corsa (X reg, 1.2. I presume injected but I don't know for sure), and as I only usually work on bikes I figured i'd come ask some questions before I go about ruining things :palm:

The first issue we've noticed is an intermittent loss of power and random points, the car will be going along happily, lose power slightly, regain it and carry on as normal. I'm presuming this is a misfiring of some sorts and I plan to check the usual culprits (Plug condition and gapping, distributor cap, HT leads etc) Anything I haven't thought of? Also what would be the correct plug gap, i've heard about 0.9 mm.

Secondly she's been having trouble when sticking it in reverse lately. It's not the infamous clutch problem as that was adjusted recently. Out of lack of any other ideas I plan to check the gearbox oil level but i've heard conflicting things about how to do this, some things i've read talk about removing a 17 mm bolt at the back of the box, checking the level then topping up through the breather pipe, whereas some things say there's a bolt on the top to fill it up with.

Like I mentioned before, i'm a bike man myself ;), and while I roughly know my way around a car I don't particularly know what i'm dealing with here. If anyone could find me a photo of the gearbox oil level check bolt and where to fil it up (I've searched for ages and not found anything), or even just some good directions i'd be much obliged! :)

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the first problem i would say is the air flow meter think it sounds like that playing up but could be wrong is the engine management light on at all? not sure about your second problem though
I've not noticed it on when i've been in the car with her, but i'll have another look when i'm next in the car with her. I did have the idea of trying the paperclip test but I don't think it works with this engine. Is replacing the air flow meter a relatively simple fix?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
think its only the 1 litre can't do the paperclip test so should be able to but those symptoms sound like air flow meter to me could be wrong though
Right, I checked today and the engine management light isn't on. Also I looked in the tutorials section for the paperclip test, it won't work on this engine (1.2 16v)

·
Banned
72 Posts
I have a 1.0, mine had very similar symptoms to you but would cut out and refuse to start for a while, turned out it was a crankshaft sensor, worth a try as the part is only £30.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts