All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hay all the cars got a few problems

basically since i put a racing sencter secton and back box, ive had a problem with a pinking sound, every time you give it some throttle, i get this noise, only happens under full load but not under light throttle, and its funny as when the car is cold it does not have this noise and i have a rocket ship for a car, but when the car gets warm it looses all this power and then ends up having this pinking noise,

anyone got any ideas what could be the problem?

and does anyone know wether if putting a re ported inlet manifold on the car, putting an induction kit on, and putting a full exhaust system would need the car to run at different timing?

coz the noise is like pre ignition

also i get a nasty vibration, again nothing when cold, car gets hot and im sitting in traffic and a really nasty vibration starts, dont last very long, and it also happens when driving, but its so bleedin tempremental, ive had the car up in the air and i think its coming from the exhaust manifold, as tho the deflector plait in the manifold has split or something

anyone had any problems like this before?

all help is welcome

thanks

Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
twin cam with hydrolic lifters dought its the tappets ive got 10w40 in there and its never had the noise before i put the center section and back box on, i eventualy changed it all and put a sport manifold, sport cat, and janspeed cat back system on it, which has quietened down the noise (it was resinating in the center section) but its still there and when it only happens when the car gets hot,

i also had a really nasty vibration noise like a cable sitting on the heatshield turned out to be the exhaust manifold had split its seperator plait.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
tinny is a under staitment, if any of you guys were round my area i would take you out in it and show you, its hard to explain (comming from a mechanic thats saying something)

ok, basicaly when you rev up to 3000rpm no noise and the exhaust is all nice and burbely, then after 3000rpm you have a noise like, someone with a jackhammer inside a tin can ratteling from the engine and you loose some power between 3 and 4000rpm, then after that the rattle is still there but there is a power band and it whips round to 6000rpm

when the car is running right (when its cold) it will keep up with a Fiesta RS turbo or ST150
but when its playing up 1.2 corsa's can whip my arse

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok run a little test on it today, found that if i accelerate very very gently it doesn't have the pinking noise.

·
Registered
611 Posts
yeah... i had this problem when i de-cat'd my corsa and took out the centre box. its due to the noise from the ignition chambers (which is more of a click sound per ignition) not having time to soften because the air is being thrown out at such high speed... thats the explanation i got anyway when i asked a hyperactive JDM freak :laugh: kinda makes sense though. whole point of the boxes is to actually reduce noise, hence why a straight-through is louder than a box, and header-back is louder than header-centre-back. each box reduces the noise. will try and find the link i had for this because i tried to find out why mine made the same noise. i solved it by putting the centre box back in though

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Sounds like typical syptoms of pre ignition, when the engine is labouring hard then the sounds becuase more obvious. The Timing belt or ignition timing is out by the sounds of things which can happen it might be worth having it checked. The only other option i can think of is the crank sensor is playing up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crank sensor could be the prolem as this does my ignition timing aswell.

will need to have a day off work to set the engine timing as i will do it myself.

i got a haynes manuel so it shouldn't be to hard to do.

christ i re built the top end of a clio williams before now that was a bugger so a doch corsa shouldnt be to bad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts