All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I want to renew my stat in my x10xe Corsa B 1.0ltr 1999 its a 92 degree/107 degree. Looking online the x10xe thermostat is pretty expensive at 19.37 (stat & housing complete) - however the one that fits Corsa B
C14SEL, X14XE, C16SEL, C16XE, X16XE engines (stat & housing complete) look the same but is only 7.61, that's quite a difference in price. If I were to get the one for the X14XE could I not take the thermostat out of that one and put it into my X10XE housing if it is a 92 degree one? does anyone know for certain? The prices I am quoting are from this website: http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/vauxworld/index.asp

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
totally different, stop being tight and buy the right one, 20 quid for a stat is cheap, go buyan xe cool running stat. £56....

Reactions: Vegas

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
totally different, stop being tight and buy the right one, 20 quid for a stat is cheap, go buyan xe cool running stat. £56....
thanks for that really helpful answer - might as well have kept it to yourself though I am thinking :)

here this will give you some food for thought a standard stat for 52 Euro from this place: http://www.micksgarage.ie/autoparts.aspx?dept=325&MakeID=84&ModelID=189&CarID=7863&AssemblyID=100095&b=57&ga= See the wonderful thing about living in Ireland is you cant just nip down to your local factos and buy a stat for 20 quid mores the pity, thats why I am looking for the cheapest new thermostat I can that will fit and work!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in see the x14xe stat is different but I wonder is it still 92 degrees? and I could maybe 'modify' in loose terms with a saw and a pair of tin snips so that the thermostat will fit in my x10xe and I get to save money at the same time - haha! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
order one off ebay, delivered in 3-5 days. as for modifying the stat, no as it totally wrong, what dont you understand? if you want to bodge your car your on the wrong site.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Cheap on here £10 delivered anywhere in UK

www.20b.org

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
order one off ebay, delivered in 3-5 days. as for modifying the stat, no as it totally wrong, what dont you understand? if you want to bodge your car your on the wrong site.
well i had a look on ebay and couldnt find any cheap ones for my x10xe - if someone told me that a thermostat for a corsa would cost over a tenner then I wouldnt have believed them, but I do now! if I cant get it locally near enough at the same price then i might as well get that instead of wait for one to be delivered from ebay.

Whats up with these thermostats anyway, why are they so dear are they made of gold or what and for such a popular car such as the corsa b as well I am pretty shocked how much they are selling for. I can understand if we are talking about going to the main dealers for a thermostat which are always overpriced on stuff i find but then again you do get the OE equipment.

You wouldnt want to digress more on what makes these thermostats so different do you? - is it the opening temperature? the physical size of the thermostat? or that there is no way a thermostat from a x14xe housing will not physically fit or cannot be made to fit in a x10xe housing? - do you want to explain more?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
physical size, operating temprature, design charateristics, and the fact vauxhall wont list different parts for no reason.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
physical size, operating temprature, design charateristics, and the fact vauxhall wont list different parts for no reason.
oh right thanks for that, thats the info i wanted to know - ho hum its back to the drawing board then in my quest to get a cheap stat that will fit :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fitted my old stat back in today after giving it a good clean with a wire brush, I put it in a boiling pan of water just to check it before i put it back in. it opened up OK but it didnt look it closed properly afterwards when I took it out of the pan, maybe its sticking.

got a shock after I put it into the corsa and ran the engine for a while and the temp went up to hot but I had the heater inside the car set to hot and the blower on full and it was blowing out cold air but it turned out to be an air lock, I squeezed the heater pipes and took off the pipe next to the egr/temp sender and some steam cam out but then a trickle of water, then put the hose back on and started up the engine and the gauge went down and the heater blew out hot air, so I think that's OK now.

I still might keep a lookout and get another new thermostat if I come across a cheap one but for the moment I will stick with this one - I suppose its better to have it running cooler rather than hotter especially with summer upon us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts