All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share this with the electronical gurus here lol. Was going through my stuff and noticed a whole load of pictures from back in the days when I was 15 or so! The first one took me 6 months haha. New to watercooling etc and always had limited time on my hands. The one I made for a mate took me about 2 months, then rebuild of my watercooled (soprano) took me two weekends.

I started off with this PC case:

Mounted the xbox motherboard inside it and testing it to see if it works and is stable:

Ordered my custom Watercooling cpu block from china and started my build:

I left the original fans in for a while to keep an eye on temps as when it heats up the fans spin faster, never did in this case but was more of a security measure but removed fans later date.

Stealth mode:

Nice and tidy at the back:

Player sync button:

A "L" shaped light for the player light, not sure why I made a "L" shape rather than a square. hmm.

Aqua bay temp meter and water level meter installed:

Thats the first one.

Then my mate wanted me to build him one but not watercooled. Case used :

Went a tad crazy with fans:

I had trouble getting the front USB working. This one I built for a mate is still running strong and they play on it often. Shows that if Microsoft had better cooling (not 8 fans though) then their products would have lasted a lot longer.

Then my niece came and ruined my xbox by pressing the on button for the xbox 360 and not the on button for the cooling setup (two separate switches) Then came the rebuild where all the cooling came on and powered up using the xbox motherboard, I sourced a 12V power supply feed, a 5V feed etc. The motherboard used a 175W PSU but you could fit the older xbox PSU in which was 203W iirc so I used the older one to suffice for the extra fans, pump etc.:

Bought a soprano!

(mind the thermal paste, I cleaned it up dont worry)

Took the rare PCI holder out:

More soldiering again:

Spare Dvd drive, Cut the legs off the xbox one and hosed it inside the soprano as you had to fix rails on the PC dvd drive chassis.

Watercooling:

So this time 3MM LEDS and a square for ROL lol:

Then I did a little "service" which was:

1) Replace the tubing with clear tubing so we can see the Blue water inside

2) Place anti kink coils as the tubing is going to packed out in a small place so we don't want any flow to be reduced!

3) Delete all grey metal visibility into black!

4) Tidy up the wiring a lot!

5) Remove the Exhaust fan on the side and replace with a wire mesh!

6) Re-modify the DVD drive holders

take it all off:

New tubing and water:

Tis all works:

Mind my father snoring in the back

Then I took all grey areas visibility out and wacked black matt cardboard on:

At one point I had my xbox and PC in one watercooling Loop. I had not enough money to watercool both seperately so I just linked it all up in one loop haha and on one screen using a KVM switcher which worked really well.

Link

I am now waiting for my bro to buy a new house so I can take the attick to start a new xbox project which should be really smart once done. Two plans of either:

1) Xbox 360 250GB slim version with fully built in case water cooling totally fan-less system. ;)
2) All-in-one xbox using a pc such as this, I have opened these up, know them inside out and think I can put the xbox motherboard nice and easy inside one if I re design the back panel at certain points.

Anyway, Sorry for the long thread, hope you enjoyed it. Something different than the usual clear case xbox with many lights.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Not meant I'm a
Nasty way, But what's the point of doing all this

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Not meant I'm a
Nasty way, But what's the point of doing all this
Im guessing mainly for entertainment/hobby purposes.

Probably the same as asking you whats the point in doing all that stuff to your car

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
Learning, and entertainment I'd say... He now works in IT and something to do with components so I'd imagine doing stuff like this as a younger kid meant he has the basis of a good skill set for what he wants to do as a job.

Non techy people won't get why techy people do half the stuff techy people do...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mega drives are awesome! I had microsoft contact me about this. Some of the reps added me on facebook lol. They wanted me to enter some competition but i didnt get round to doing it :(

Purpose was because the xboxes suffer from overheating because of the crap design of the cooling in their earlier generations, even later they had issues after they modified the hearsink. So by liquid cooling it over heating was eliminated, plus it looked cool especially when i was 15. I just like modifying stuff and making it run how I want it to. I love it lol. Costed me quite a bit but the way I look at it and the way I look at other things I am doing now is you have to pay to learn and i like learning new stuff and this was new to me.

Like my bro who says "whats the point in doing up a corsa" . I just do it to make me happy which it does.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learning, and entertainment I'd say... He now works in IT and something to do with components so I'd imagine doing stuff like this as a younger kid meant he has the basis of a good skill set for what he wants to do as a job.

Non techy people won't get why techy people do half the stuff techy people do...
This lol.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I meant what purpose, and benefits. I don't have a problem with what his doing, just didn't understand why

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
or a 64. lol

Means nothing to me and it all over my head by thats pretty cool!
Thanks!

P.S . I'm your 1000th person to thank you ! :shocked:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I meant what purpose, and benefits. I don't have a problem with what his doing, just didn't understand why
Purpose was to eliminate overheating, Learn about water cooling, Learn how the xbox 360 motherboards worked.

Benefits were I was one of the first 10 or 20 people to do it in the world, after that everyone does it now.

I also became close with a china company who supplied watercooling equipment, they were not established so I offered to distribute in their name in UK, I did it to experiment and to learn how business works, how dropshipping works, how buying and shipping from UK works etc. I could have made a killing but I was working full time so I didn't go ahead with it after a few months of doing it.
That basically sprung off from my watercooling interest.

the xbox motherboard that I did it on, despite being a early model, is still running strong! Probably the only few that is now as most have been replaced by Microsoft.

And it was cool telling someone who walked in the house and looked at the PC case and tell them it was an xbox 360 haha.

Anyway, the other plans I have are more cooler (no pun intended).

·
Registered
651 Posts
Purpose was to eliminate overheating, Learn about water cooling, Learn how the xbox 360 motherboards worked.

Benefits were I was one of the first 10 or 20 people to do it in the world, after that everyone does it now.

I also became close with a china company who supplied watercooling equipment, they were not established so I offered to distribute in their name in UK, I did it to experiment and to learn how business works, how dropshipping works, how buying and shipping from UK works etc. I could have made a killing but I was working full time so I didn't go ahead with it after a few months of doing it.
That basically sprung off from my watercooling interest.

the xbox motherboard that I did it on, despite being a early model, is still running strong! Probably the only few that is now as most have been replaced by Microsoft.

And it was cool telling someone who walked in the house and looked at the PC case and tell them it was an xbox 360 haha.

Anyway, the other plans I have are more cooler (no pun intended).
That unintended pun tickled me :laugh:.

Looks pretty impressive mate, certainly gone to the lengths needed to completely eliminate any heat haha. Counted like 6 or 7 fans in revision one!

Have to admit, I've always been into computers and that, built my own PC a while back (good few years, 5 maybe 6, had laptops ever since) and although it doesn't really require much (just putting cards in slots and installing fans, the like) it was fun and I learnt a fair bit when buying all the bits and pieces seperately. Good fun.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That unintended pun tickled me :laugh:.

Looks pretty impressive mate, certainly gone to the lengths needed to completely eliminate any heat haha. Counted like 6 or 7 fans in revision one!

Have to admit, I've always been into computers and that, built my own PC a while back (good few years, 5 maybe 6, had laptops ever since) and although it doesn't really require much (just putting cards in slots and installing fans, the like) it was fun and I learnt a fair bit when buying all the bits and pieces seperately. Good fun.
haha lol. Its all like lego! It is fun your right and you're also right about the extreme lengths :)

The one with all them fans (total 8) was for a good mate of mine, who I now frankly work with lol. I need to re do that for him, change the PSU system and other stuff too. It was a lot of fun when I did them, I don't know why but I just love to see water going round lol. My PC is also watercooled atm and keeps the temps down nicely at 4GHZ when I'm using high powered applications.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts