All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this would be an interesting thread, considering i had my closest call last nite!

This goes as a warning for some of you out there!

It was about 1am and me a friend had finished work, as you probably of guessed the roads were pretty clear, i was following him home and to be honest he was going at a fairly quick pace, so i thought id just keep up with him, he was in the quicker car (04 plate clio 1.2 16v) and it was the better handling one, and in a lapse of concentration i took a hard corner at the same speed as him... big mistake, he went through there no problem but i didnt, i got alot understeer (although i knew it would) so i let off the throttle, another big mistake, i got major lift off oversteer and the rear end whipped right out, crap! i started to veer into the inside kerb, but i turned the car straight by using opposite lock like you supposed to, but i overcorrected it and it went broadside the other way, i didnt expect this at all and veered staight into the opposite lane, i did opposite lock again this time was a bit more fortunate and regained control. I musted of travelled about 100 yards down the wrong side of the road and was bloody lucky there were no cars. If there were, then well i might of not been so lucky, i was really shaken up by it because i didnt expect it!

I dont constantly drive like a d*ck either, there is a time a place for the odd thrash.

So the morale of the story is dont try and keep up with your mates or other cars!! well not in a corsa with a standard suspension or tyres anyway.

Anyone got interesting stories lol?

·
Banned
521 Posts
I was turning my mums polo when she'd had it less than a month and i was trying to wheelspin it the whole way up the driveway and i hit the garage:(

And also dont try and learn how to work your stereo while driving.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
when i had only bin driving a few months i was raceing my m8 down a dual carriagway stupid i no.we came towards a roundabout an my servo on my breaks went. i was doing about 70 but i managed to slow the car down abit i just missed the cars going round the roundabout.i had a very lucky escape.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I've had way to many to list in all honesty. I think last night was a bad night for us all Clutch.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have had alot of close calls , Infact within 5 hours of passing my test about 7month ago i had a crash :(

·
Registered
393 Posts
i lost it on a roundabout that was covered in diesel (from the garage that exits onto it), managed to spin the car twice while trying to stay on the roundabout, only to finish the second spin aimed at the side of a truck, just managed to stop though!
been about 2 years since that one, havent lost it on that roundabout since.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
It wasnt really me that had the close call in a way, a ball came into the street infront of me i slammed on the breaks incase a kid came running out after it which he did, a motorbike behind me had to swerve round me go up a massive gutter, dodge a parked car and get back on the road, i shat myself for him!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Coming out a little village called Holme Upon Spaldingmoor, goes from 30->60 and its a long straight about 2/3 miles of straight road, as I came out of the village I nailed the starlet, over took first 3 cars, as the 5th car infront was still only doing about 50mph - Little did I know the car up at the front was a mondeo (TDCI one) soon as I got up next to him I was letting off the throttle as I was doing about 80ish, he decided to put his foot down, next thing I know I look back up and there is a car coming towards me flashing the headlights - and no where for me to go. I had to slam on the breaks and just jerk the steering wheel to the left. On coming car must of missed my drivers side wing by about 10 cms if that. I had to pull over and light up a cig, I was shaking like! Thought about going and catching the mondeo up and drive up his arse for acting like a complete **** when I was clearly over taking him, fair enough I had to the power to do him, but why bother speeding up. Wanker.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
what a ****, i get that quite a lot but they dont speed up to course an accident. they just generally put there foot down because im overtaking them an they dont like it.

never had any accidents or near misses (touch wood)

·
Registered
63 Posts
My one and only near miss...

I finished work one night and had to pop to tesco to get some fuel. When waiting to pull out of the petrol station I decided to be nice for once and let someone go.

I followed this car for a short while until we got to a traffic light junction. As the lights went green I was still behind him and in a flash a BMW over the other side the road swerved, hit this car on the drivers side and pushed it into a shop.

The BMW driver was proven to be on drugs and as far as I am aware is still awaiting a court date and the driver of the car in front was stuck in his car until police and ambulances turned up as his passenger side was in the shop and the BMW was moulded into his drivers side.

The strangest part was that a car behind me pulled over too and the lady said " i've followed you from Tesco sweetheart... Lucky you to let him go"

I now let everyone go ahead of me :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was coming home from work only a month or 2 ago, just before christmas I think. Was only going about 30mph or so, I glanced at something for a second, when I glanced back the car in front had stopped, I anchored up but I still went into the back of the car in front. Thankfully I had pretty much stopped by the time the bumpers came into contact and it was like a tiny knock as I stopped. No damage whatsoever though, not even a scratch. The other bloke annoyed me though, he didn't say a word even when I asked if he could see any damage, just glared at me then got in his car and sped off pretty quick. Ok fair enough it was my fault, but was there any need to not say anything at all? I guess I was following too close behind.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Coming out a little village called Holme Upon Spaldingmoor, goes from 30->60 and its a long straight about 2/3 miles of straight road, as I came out of the village I nailed the starlet, over took first 3 cars, as the 5th car infront was still only doing about 50mph - Little did I know the car up at the front was a mondeo (TDCI one) soon as I got up next to him I was letting off the throttle as I was doing about 80ish, he decided to put his foot down, next thing I know I look back up and there is a car coming towards me flashing the headlights - and no where for me to go. I had to slam on the breaks and just jerk the steering wheel to the left. On coming car must of missed my drivers side wing by about 10 cms if that. I had to pull over and light up a cig, I was shaking like! Thought about going and catching the mondeo up and drive up his arse for acting like a complete **** when I was clearly over taking him, fair enough I had to the power to do him, but why bother speeding up. Wanker.
Jesus, that really infurates me! what a stupid immature thing to do, that mondeo driver should be shot, your playing with peoples lives because you dont want to get over taken. grrrr lol

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
My one and only near miss...

I finished work one night and had to pop to tesco to get some fuel. When waiting to pull out of the petrol station I decided to be nice for once and let someone go.

I followed this car for a short while until we got to a traffic light junction. As the lights went green I was still behind him and in a flash a BMW over the other side the road swerved, hit this car on the drivers side and pushed it into a shop.

The BMW driver was proven to be on drugs and as far as I am aware is still awaiting a court date and the driver of the car in front was stuck in his car until police and ambulances turned up as his passenger side was in the shop and the BMW was moulded into his drivers side.

The strangest part was that a car behind me pulled over too and the lady said " i've followed you from Tesco sweetheart... Lucky you to let him go"

I now let everyone go ahead of me :)
jeeezzz pretty lucky for you that one!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had a two close ones.
I was driving on a road north bound of Moodiesburn (about 4-5 miles north of Glasgow) and there is a slip road about 200 yards north a shell petrol station coming onto a very busy dual carridgeway. Now im on the outside lane doing around 80, road clear for about 200 yards infront of me, and I notice this silver Mondeo coming on from the slip road, but thinking he would build his speed up on the inside, I thought nothing of it. Next thing I know hes come across me about 10 yards in front and Im heading straight for the back of him, I slam on the breaks, forgetting the fact my car doesn't have ABS, I almost spin out, but just manage to regain control. Worst part was The mondeo didn't even start to pull away from me until I was down to about 50 :mad:

The other one, was less dramatic, but was closer to being an accident. I was driving along a local street and it was lashing down. The 2nd car in front broke suddenly for absolutely no reason, the car infront ran into the back of him, and I was literally inches away from hitting the car infront of me. Turns out the car that broke suddenly was a known scam man, and was looking for an insurance payout for a car that was a wreck basically.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Damn looks like everyone has close calls , i nearly had one today !

Some idiot was turning right and i was going straight on . the lanes was really narrow , and he swung out to turn left :S and i nearly went into the back of him

1 - 20 of 21 Posts